Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Midnighters" by Scott Westerfeld

I read another series by Scott Westerfeld called "The Midnighters". It is about a girl named Jessica who moves to a town called Bixby, Oklahoma and starts having weird dreams every night where the world has kind of stopped and she can do and go wherever she wants. She soon finds out that it is not a dream, but that at midnight there is a secret hour that only a few people can take advantage of. While everyone else freezes at midnight, these few kids have a whole hour that they have to share with the 'darklings'. Each of the kids have different talents. In the first book they are trying to figure out what Jessica's talent is and why the darklings are set on killing her. In the past the darklings have mostly left the humans alone, but all the sudden they are trying very hard to kill Jessica. In the second and third books, the Midnighters, as they call themselves, have to try and save the world because the darklings are trying to communicate with others in the real world and are trying to break the barrier between the secret midnight hour and real time.

I enjoyed these books. Like "The Uglies" series, the books were easy reading and enjoyable. When I read too much from one author at one time I tend to get a little sick of them, just because most authors have similar writing techniques, but I still enjoyed the books. Scott Westerfeld doesn't totally believe in happy endings and I do, so the end of both series had a sad part about it that I pretend didn't actually happen because it is sad. I would recommend these books to anyone who likes a little fantasy world mixed up with the real world!

Since I have read so much fantasy lately, I think I will read a nonfiction or history book. Any suggestions???

5 comments:

Andrea said...

i love your book reviews! these scott westerfeld books sound pretty good! i'll have to check them out. i'm like you, i hate it when books don't end happily...

Amy Jane said...

Ooo..interesting! Well..if you haven't read the auto/biographical book "The Color of Water" you should. Its not exactly history, but it is a true story about a black man who grew up with a white jewish mother..pretty good. That or..I just read "The Red Tent" its a fictionalized story of Rachel/Leah of the bible, and it has some weird parts but it is a good read.

Amy Jane said...

And PS you need to be on Good Reads! (the website..its like facebook, but for books...you add your friends who have their list of favorites/ratings/reviews of books..its awesome). I'll try to send you an invite...I get tons of my book ideas from my goodreads friends. :)

Cardon Times said...

Three Cups of Tea is a great nonfiction book that is really well written...But I have a hard time getting through it since it is more involved than the other books I have been reading.

OkieDrapers said...

If you're interested in historical fiction, I really like anything by Sharon Kay Penman. They can be hard to find and they are pretty long, but I really enjoyed them. They are set in medieval times.

I can't wait to read Midnighters. I'm waiting for the first one to be available at the library.