This weekend was NOT a fun weekend for us. It has been one bad thing after another. First of all, Travis has been elk hunting the past week or so and has been pretty frustrated because he had been working his tail off and hadn’t seen a bull elk. On Saturday the weather was bad and apparently that is when the elk start moving around so you have more of a chance of seeing one. Anyway, Trav, his dad, his buddy, Willy, all went up to Morgan and hunted land that one of Willy’s roommates had given them permission to hunt because his parents owned it. So, they went up there and to make a long story not as long, had a great hunt, called in an elk and Travis shot it. It was a 6x7 and definitely the biggest thing Travis had ever shot and he was obviously very excited, especially because we are officially out of meat and this elk was so big it would have completely filled our freezer. Anyway, soon after he shot the elk, the Fish & Game came up and informed them that they were hunting on CWMU ground which is a HUGE problem and is considered poaching. They took the elk, took his gun along with Willy’s and his dad’s guns and told him he would be notified of what action would be taken. We are fully expecting Travis to be charged with poaching which is a $2,000.00 fine, possible jail time, and NO HUNTING OF ANY KIND FOR FIVE YEARS! For all of you who know Travis, this is not good. We are hoping that the other two aren’t charged with such severe charges because it was Travis who tagged the elk and such, but we have no clue what will happen. As you can imagine, they were all furious at Willy’s roommate and called him up to see what was going on. He was just like, "Oh, sorry. That sucks." The Fish & Game officer informed them that the roommate actually owns a very small piece of land no where near where they were hunting. The roommate had actually taken them up there and shown him what land he "owned". What an idiot. Then, they had to call Trav’s mom to come pick them up because the road was too muddy to drive their truck down and when his mom got there she informed them that Travis’s Aunt, Jim’s sister, had cancer in the brain and spine and would most likely not survive much longer. Jim is her medical power of attorney so he has to be the one to make all the decisions which puts a lot of pressure on him and leaves Trav to run the shop. He is very capable of doing that, it just adds extra responsibility and stress, but he is obviously more than willing to help. Anyway, to top off everything, this morning Travis’s car broke down. What fun!
To end on a brighter note, I was tagged by Laura:
Joys
My husband
Reading
Being with Family
Fears
Bad guys- sounds pretty childish, but it’s true!
Failure/Disappointing others
Something bad happening to Travis
Current Obsessions/Collections
My TV Shows of the moment: House, Bones and Law and Order, SVU
Watching/Hoping my grass grows
Planning Christmas Presents
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We're keeping you in our prayers. I am so sorry you guys are having to go through this awful mess. Keep us updated. We love you!
Holy cow, the craziness! I'm sorry, man I hope he doesn't get repremanded that hard, no hunting for five years! I don't know if Travis could survive! But he is tough, and you guys are strong. I hope things work out! I would probably be in a murderous rage towards that friend guy who 'owned' the land..man. I hope things start looking up for you guys, you are awesome :)
what a horrible weekend! i'm so sorry for you guys--poor travis! i hope that things don't go as badly with the hunting thing as you expect. i'm sorry about travis's aunt...and your car! how can so many things go badly in one weekend? good luck!
you probably can't write it on here if it's a surprise but you should tell me what you are planning for christmas this year! i remember the good old days (well, they weren't that great!) of best friends when we planned the 12 days of christmas for travis last year...you are so creative!
Hi Becca! I dont think you know me, but I grew up with the Burtons. I found your blog through Tina's! I'm sorry you guys had such a horrible weekend! Those are awful. I can't imagine Travis not hunting, its like a fish without water! Good luck!
Tell Travis and his family I said hello!
Lindsay
lifeofthebennetts.blogspot.com
Becca! Jake told me about the horrible weekend after Trav called him yesterday. I am so sorry. That really sucks. I know how much hunting means to Trav, Jim, and everyone in the Burton family. What an awful weekend. We have a guy in our ward whose buddy told him his family "owned" land out by the refuge, so he went and hunted geese on it. Come to find out, that was the duck club's property and he got in a lot of trouble. I hope everything works out. Keep us posted.
Post a Comment